Are you the sister of the bride or groom to be? Naturally you have a very important role to play in the upcoming wedding of your sibling. In Maharashtrian weddings, the sister of the brides (known as the Karolis) are required during many of the wedding rituals. In North Indian weddings too, the bride’ sisters play an important role of hiding the groom’s shoes and get paid richly in return. Naturally, she is an important part of the wedding ceremony and must be well dressed.
So here we are presenting a few popular attire trends that are in vogue for the bride’s/groom’s sister.
1) Lehenga– One can never go wrong with the Lehenga. Choose from the latest Anarkali lehenga styles that have been popularized by top Indian designers like Manish Malhotra and Sabyasachi Mukherjee. Modern lehengas having slits with contrasting skirts peeping through have also been popularized by Bollywood A-listers.
2) Shararas– It is difficult to not love Shararas and ghararas! Both these words are derived from the urdu words for loose flowing pants or skirts paired with a long lowing loose kurta and dupatta.
3) Lehenga saris– We have written about the lehenga saris here and here . Lehenga saris are hassle free and perfect for the bride/groom’s sister who need to be dressed practically as well as elegantly since she is required to run around a lot doing many chores.
4) Anarkali suits– You can view more anarkalis here. One can never go wrong with the Anarkali suit and many Bollywood Celebs have also chosen this attire time and again to steal the show, so can the bride/groom’s sister.
5) Salwaar kameez– The quintessential salwaar kameez is a must-have for every woman attending an Indian wedding. This attire can be in light or dark shades and consist of an embroidered all-over silhouette; certainly an elite option or one of the many ceremonies inclduing the Mehendi, Sangeet etc.
6) Sari– Who says that the sari is too traditional for the bride’s sister? Wrap yourself with lovely embroidered elegant saris and pair them up with stylish blouses or cholis to steal the show!
Trends to watch for:
1) Phulkari and chikankari work from northern parts of India are definitely trendy this summer. Sisters can also opt for the Gota-patti work.
2) Bright colors like neons are definitely in. If you are not too much into them, you can choose light and breezy pastel shades that are perfect for hot summer weddings.
3) Red is still the bride’s color, but there are no rules as to why the sister cannot wear it! For the bold woman who is unafraid to experiment, the multi hues are sure to impart a chic appeal.
4) Achkan styled lehengas with long jackets are definitely in; these are sure to add an ‘oomph’ factor to your attire.
Did we miss out on any trends? Have you been to a wedding recently? Then do write to us and send us your pics at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will feature you.
(images : indiaemporium.com 2) sharara-paklinks.com 3)lehenga sari-sareez.files.wordpress.com 4) anarkali-ethicalbrides.com 5) sari-lalitkhatri.com, 6) red-green-blue lehenga-aishwaryadesignstudio.com 7) salwar kameez- http://booncreation.blogspot.in/ 8) Achkan jacket lehenga-zarilane.com)